Monday, February 22, 2010

Music Musts

Tonight I am planning to upload my pictures from this weekend. Expect an "over the weekend" post tonight or tomorrow. Saturday night was quite the adventure... And one of the best times I have had in a long time! More on that later...

Now onto one of my biggest loves: music. I LOVE music. While I am no musician (I wish I could play in instrument... I can sing, does that count??) I have been obsessed with my ever growing music collection since my freshman year of high school. I can actually pin point the exact moment when my taste in music changed forever. It was the beginning of my freshman year in high school. My friend group changed slightly when I joined the show choir (even though I look ridiculous when I dance... it's my goofy long arms) and became active in the theater department. Someone gave me their copy of Radiohead's Kid A and I immediately went out to buy Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer. I was also lucky enough to have friends with very sophisticated musical tastes (for 15 and 16 year olds especially!) and a few teachers who influenced my tastes as well. One friend in particular (with very eclectic taste), made me countless mix tapes and cds and introduced me to The Talking Heads, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Faint just to name a few. I also discovered Wilco, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, Ryan Adams, and Muse that year.

Anyway, that was a very long winded way of saying that my taste in music is incredibly diverse and eclectic. I remember being a freshman in college and meeting people in my dorm.... Of course people inevitably start discussing music and hardly anyone knew that bands I was talking about... haha.

I also love making new playlists. I go on kicks where I listen to a certain play list over and over again (especially while I'm getting ready!) My current playlist if one of my all-time favorites ever. Here's a sampling of what's on it and a look into the bands/songs I'm currently loving right now!


Tilly and the Wall- Alligator Skin
The Black Keys- Strange Times (SUPER obsessed w/ these guys right now)
Jenny Lewis- The Next Messiah
Feist- Brandy Alexander
Ke$ha- Tik Tok (I have to admit... I LOVE a good dance song... The last year or so I've been pretty obsessed with electro-pop dance music: The Ting Tings, Lady Gaga, MGMT... and so on)
TV On The Radio- Dancing Choose
Fleet Foxes- White Winter Hymnal
New Young Pony Club- Ice Cream
Chairlift- Bruises
Kings of Leon- Slow Night, So Long


I'm also contantly looking for new music. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. ANYTHING by Jack's Mannequin. I just went to their concert on Saturday and they're AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete